Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Top 350 songs in my 50 years of Music -- 200-181



200. Peggy Sue – Buddy Holly. … You wonder what would have happened with his music if he had lived on.

199. Ice Cream – Sarah McLachlan. … Like Seinfeld with the massage therapist, if I dated Sarah I would pester her to sing to me all day. This simple tune (Ok, a bit of a guilty pleasure) is from her tremendous album named “Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.”

198. Light My Fire – The Doors. … Jim Morrison is alive!! Not a huge Doors fan, but this belongs on the list.

197. Centerfold – J Geils Band. … My roommate got me a ticket in the first few rows next to the speakers for J Geils at UConn during height of the “Freeze Frame” album and my ears were ringing for a week afterward. This is probably their most iconic song.

196. Return of the Grievous Angel – Counting Crows. … The Crows did this amazing cover of this Gram Parsons song on a standout album called, “Underwater Sunshine.” “Twenty-thousand roads I went down, down, down. They all led me straight back home to you.”

195. Paradise by the dashboard light – Meatloaf. … There had never been anything like this song before it burst on the scene in 1977. Ellen Foley is the defiant, powerful voice beside Meat and Phil.

194. Strength – The Alarm. … The Alarm didn’t exactly become the next U2, but this song and “The Spirit of 76” will live on forever in rock lore. “Give me love. Give me hope. Give me strength. Give me someone to live for.”

193. 867-5309 Jenny – Tommy Tutone. … For a good time, call. One of the best, somewhat cheesy, one-hit wonders of all time. Joe Maddon did a “Tommy Tutone lineup” last year.

192. We are the Champions – Queen. … Song is a bit overplayed at sporting events, but it is a powerful piece of music.

191. The Long Way Around – Dixie Chicks. … The first song on a brilliant, smart, “Taking the Long Way” album. I could go on and on about how the Chicks were wronged during the whole Bush debacle. All I’ll say is FUTK.


190. Oh Girl – Chi Lites. … A sad, wonderful love song. “All my friends call me a fool, they say, ‘Let the woman take care of you.’ So I try to be hip and think like the crowd, but even the crowd can’t help me now.”

189. It’s Not Unusual – Tom Jones. … This one goes out to huge TJ fans Donna and Jeannie. Heard this song played during a timeout in the Breslin Center at Michigan State during the winter on TV. The kids loved it.

188. Fantastic Planet of Love – Marshall Crenshaw. … Dedicated to Dan Gerstein, who introduced me to a great CD named “Life’s Too Short” during a car ride to Boston for a visit or a Red Sox game. This is the best from that one for Crenshaw, who once played Buddy Holly in the movie “La Bamba.”

187. Hey Jude – The Beatles. … Paul wrote this for Julian Lennon – it started out as Hey Jules -- after his father’s divorce to mom Cynthia. Blame Yoko.

186. God Only Knows – The Beach Boys. … After watching the movie “Love & Mercy,” I gained much more appreciation for the brilliance of Brian Wilson. Wilson said Paul McCartney told him this is his favorite song.

185. Simple Kind of Life – No Doubt. … Me and Gwen Stefani have a connection. She sang on Moby’s big hit “Southside” and yes, Richard Melville Hall (Moby) lived on my floor in Fairfield Hall at UConn. Really.

184. Teach your children – Crosby, Stills & Nash. … Few other groups, if any, could do the things they did with acoustic guitars and harmony.

183. Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac. … The first single off the epic “Rumours” LP. Written by Lindsey Buckingham about his so-called “complicated relationship” with fellow band member Stevie Nicks.

182. That’s the way of the world – Earth, Wind & Fire. … Slow, soulful song from a tremendous and versatile group.

181. Sunday Bloody Sunday – U2. … Powerful piece from their early work, written about the violence in Northern Ireland.



No comments:

Post a Comment