Friday, October 30, 2015

Top 350 songs in my 50 years of Music: 90-81


90. Space Oddity – David Bowie. … “Ground Control to Major Tom.” The unique rock classic about a fictional astronaut floating in a most peculiar way, “far above the moon” was released nine days before Apollo 11 landed in 1969.

89. Sara Smile – Hall & Oates. … Daryl Hall wrote this moving, soulful tune about his long-time girlfriend, or perhaps my first crush? It was ranked No. 11 on the Billboard chart for the year 1976.

88. I want to hold your hand – The Beatles. … Paul and John wrote this classic in 1963 and it became the Fab Four’s first No. 1 hit in America just after my first birthday. “And when I touch you I feel happy inside. It’s such a feeling that my love, I can’t hide.” Always thought it was “I get high.”

87. Betcha By Golly, Wow – The Stylistics. … The Philadelphia group is my favorite from this genre, led by the magical voice of the great Russell Thompkins Jr. The beautiful love song was apparently first recorded by Connie Stevens, but never sounded better than when Russell sang, “If I could, I’d catch a falling star. To shine on you, so I’ll know where you are.”

86. Rhiannon – Fleetwood Mac. … Stevie Nicks displays her powerful voice and Lindsey Buckingham jams in a song about an old Welsh Witch. “Taken by the sky. Dreams unwind. Love’s a state of mind.”

85. Asking for Flowers – Kathleen Edwards. … This likeable and talented Canadian singer-songwriter, who spent time growing up overseas as the daughter of a diplomat, is taking a break from the music business to own a coffee shop outside Ottawa. She said this tune, about a friend going through depression, is her best writing effort. I agree.

84. Doctor My Eyes – Jackson Browne. … The first hit for the Los Angeles native came from his self-named debut album and is about a man battling life’s hardships. “I have done all that I could, to see the evil and the good without hiding, you must help me if you can.”

83. Part of the Plan – Dan Fogelberg. … My cousin Joe introduced me to “Souvenirs” in the mid 70s and it is still among my favorite easy-listening, mellow albums. This nifty tune batted leadoff on the CD which was produced by Joe Walsh, and became the first hit for the Illinois native who later died of cancer at 56 in 2007.

82. Venus – Shocking Blue. … The Dutch group took this 1969 tune -- written by guitarist Robbie van Leeuwen and sung by Mariska Veres -- to No. 1 in nine different countries. Bananarama later returned it the top spot on the charts in 1986. “Her weapon were here crystal eyes. Making every man, mad.”

81. Heart of Gold – Neil Young. … The acoustic classic, written about a young man searching for meaning in his life, was named the third greatest Canadian song of all time by a CBC Radio series. The Toronto native took to it to No. 1 on the Billboard chart in 1972. Dedicated to old friend Chip Doucette – a huge fan of the artist.



No comments:

Post a Comment