Friday, January 22, 2016

Top 350 songs in my 50 years of Music: 50-41


50. Tequila Sunrise – The Eagles. … Don Henley and Glenn Frey co-wrote this beautiful, short song from the under-rated album, “Desperado.” “Take another shot of courage. Wonder why the right words never come. … You just get numb.”

49. Under the Milky Way – The Church. … Bass guitarist and lead vocalist Steve Kilbey said the song just came to him and then-girlfriend Karin Jansson while smoking a joint one day. The Australian band did not quite fulfill its potential, but this late 80s masterpiece will live on.

48. I saw her standing there – The Beatles. … The first track on the Fab Four’s debut album “Please, Please Me” in 1963 is my choice as their top tune. “We danced through the night, and we held each other tight. And before too long, I fell in love with her.”

47. What I like about you – The Romantics. … The Detroit band’s “power pop” tune brings back memories of UConn days. It only made No. 49 on the billboard charts in 1980, but has become much more popular as a party dance song since. “Keep on whispering in my ear, tell me all the things that I wanna hear.”

46. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd. … The best song from a masterpiece concept album named, “The Wall.” Roger Waters and David Gilmour wrote about a troubled rock star and end the tune with some amazing guitar work.

45. Feelin’ Stronger Every Day – Chicago. … The “rock and roll band with horns” will finally be inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. The group was at its best in the first half of the 70s, led by this powerful tune.

44. (Just like) Starting Over – John Lennon. … Some songs bring back vivid memories. The lights went on to end a concert at Jorgensen Auditorium when I was at UConn and this tune blared through the big speakers. It never sounded better and I remember people dancing, arm and arm out of the building. It was released as a single less than two months before John was murdered and reached No. 1 after his death.

43. Put the Message in the Box – World Party. … Maybe a reach, but this likeable sing-along tune, from a brilliant album named “Goodbye Jumbo,” sounds the call for saving the environment. “See the world in just one grain of sand. You better take a closer look. Don’t let it slip right through your hand.”

42. Every little thing she does is magic – The Police. … Sting and the boys have fun with this nifty little tune that mixes a little dance, reggae and rock from the album, “Ghost in the Machine.” “I resolve to call her up, a thousand times a day, and ask her if she’ll marry me, in some old fashion way.”

41. Voices Carry – Til Tuesday. … Aimee Mann calls out her boyfriend triumphantly at the end of one of the best videos of all time. Mann penned the song, reportedly, about one of her own bad relationships. “I’m in the dark, I’d like to read his mind. But I’m frightened of the things I might find.”





No comments:

Post a Comment