Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Best of Marvin Gaye

 

Marvin Gaye is one of the most talented artists that died way too soon. Even though we were only graced by his musical presence for a little over two decades, his library of great songs is very large.


Marvin Gaye

Top 20


1. What's Goin' On - One of the best-written songs of all time. "War is not the answer, for only Love can conquer Hate."

2. Mercy, Mercy Me (the Ecology) - Another masterpiece. Check out the cover by Corinne Bailey Rae and John Legend at Live Earth

3. I Heard it through the Grapevine - The first No. 1 hit for Marvin after Gladys Knight took it to No. 2

4. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Beautiful tune written by the late Nickolas Ashford and the beautiful Valerie Simpson

5. Let's Get it On - Marvin's second No. 1 hit was about sexual liberation in 1973

6. Sexual Healing - The passionate song was Marvin's first single after he left Motown

7. I Want You - Song has a little disco edge to it in 1976

8. Gotta Give it Up - Marvin wrote this song in 1977 and you can dance to it

9. How Sweet It Is - The Motown-writing team put this to paper and Marvin took it to No. 6. James Taylor later made it his own and went to No. 5

10. Ain't That Peculiar - Smokey Robinson co-wrote and produced this wonderful bouncy number


11. After the Dance

12. Come Get to This

13. Inner City Blues

14. Can I Get a Witness

15. Pride and Joy

16. What's Happening Brother

17. Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing

18. That's the Way Love is

19. You're All I Need to Get By

20. Take This Heart of Mine


Others considered

When did you stop loving me, When did I stop loving you

Distant Lover

If I could build my whole world around you

Too Busy Thinking About my Baby

Trouble Man

Sad Tomorrows

Wholy Holy

You're the One for Me

Since I Had You

My Mistake (was to love you)

Heavy Love Affair

If I Should Die Tonight


No comments:

Post a Comment