Saturday, January 2, 2016

Top 350 songs in my 50 years of Music: 60-51


60. Angie – Rolling Stones. … Whether it is really about a woman or Keith trying to quit heroin, the 1973 No. 1 hit is my favorite from the super group. “With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats, you can’t say we’re satisfied. But Angie, Angie, you can’t say we never tried.”

59. Brian Wilson – Barenaked Ladies. … Still steamed the Canadians didn’t perform this cheeky tune the last time they visited Tampa. Former band member Steven Page wrote and sang the song about a man who suffered from mental illness like the Beach Boys’ talented leader. “So, I’m lying here, just staring at the ceiling tiles, and I’m thinking about, oh what to think about.”

58. Indian Summer – Poco. … The under-appreciated Southern California country-rock band produced some terrific songs and none better than this title track from a 1977 album. It reminds me of my favorite time of year in New England. “Cool at night – and hot all day.”

57. Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh. … Joe wrote this epic tune about rock stardom, with a nod toward his partying and room demolition days with Keith Moon and others. “I live in hotels, tear out the walls. I have accountants pay for it all.”

56. Never can say goodbye – Jackson Five. … Clifton Davis wrote this beautiful song that was originally slated to be performed by The Supremes. Michael, in the innocent days of the early 1970s, took the lead at age 12 while backed by the amazing Tito along with Jermaine, Marlon and Jackie.

55. Walk On – U2. … The song was dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi, a Burmese academic who was put under house arrest for 11 years due to her pro-democracy activism. Bono said he wrote it as an uplifting anthem, praising the work she did. “You could have flown away, a singing bird in an open cage, who will only fly, only fly for freedom.”

54. Operator – Jim Croce. … The South Philadelphia native sang about guys named Leroy and Jim, who you shouldn’t mess around with, before he tragically died in a plane crash at age 30 in 1973. His incredible work will live on, led by this tune, “and you can keep the dime.”

53. Friday, I’m in Love – The Cure. … The British alternative rock band’s best tune, and you can dance to it. “I don’t care if Monday’s blue, Tuesday’s grey and Wednesday, too. Thursday I don’t care about you, it’s Friday, I’m in love.”

52. Mexico – James Taylor. … JT writes and sings about fun and a “sleepy senorita with the eyes on fire,” in a Mexican border town while Graham Nash and David Crosby add backing vocals on this 1975 tune.


51. Distant Sun – Crowded House. … Seven Worlds did collide when this tune graced one of my favorite albums entitled “Together Alone.” The under-rated band was formed in Australia and led by New Zealander Neil Finn, who wrote this one. “I can’t pretend to know what you want, but I offer love.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment