Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Top 20 songs from The Boss

 

One of the most difficult assignments ever was cutting my original rough draft list of 60-plus songs down to 20. 


Bruce Springsteen

Top 20


1. Thunder Road - Perhaps the greatest opening verse in the history of music

2. Jungleland - An epic concert song that made Clarence Clemons the king of the saxophone

3. The Promised Land - "Mister, I ain't a boy, no, I'm a man. And I believe in the Promised Land." Enough said

4. Land of Hope and Dreams - Beautiful song that becomes more meaningful every day and sounded perfect at Biden's Inauguration

5. Born to Run - Powerful signature anthem from the Boss that could easily be No. 1

6. Rosalita - A rollicking tune that can be put in so many categories and never gets old

7. My City of Ruins - Haunting song about 9/11 that could work at a church ceremony

8. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out - Sometimes we forget how good this song was. Rewatched his Super Bowl show and this one batted leadoff. It worked perfectly

9. The Rising - Title track from one of his best albums makes you scream the words.

10. Badlands - Seemed to be one of the first songs at most of his concerts


11. Dancing in the Dark

12. Out in the Street

13. Bobby Jean

14. Point Blank

15. Brilliant Disguise

16. The River

17. Streets of Philadelphia

18. Janey don't you lose heart

19. Racing in the Street

20. If I was the Priest


Joe Lunardi's first eight out


She's the One

Prove it all night

If I should fall behind

Incident on 57th Street

Spirits in the night

I'm Goin Down

No Surrender

Downbound Train


Eliminated because made more popular by other artists

Blinded by the Light

Talk to Me

Because the Night








2 comments:

  1. Solid list. I may have flipped a few and may have added "live version" to some over the album version (Acoustic Born to Run from 1988 tour instead of the grossly overplayed album version, for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very difficult. My first rough draft of possibles had nearly 60 and did not include Hungry Heart, Born in the USA, Glory Days or My Hometown

      Delete