Monday, February 5, 2024

Best Movie Quotes 2023

 

By Mark Pukalo

You use them all the time in daily life. Great movie lines. They live with us forever.

You can't handle the truth.

Show me the money!

Lighten up Francis.

Vegas Baby!

There are so many.- short and long - movie lines and quotes which evoke a time, a place, a vision. How many times have people who watched Caddyshack said "I don't think the hard stuff is coming down for awhile" when it is pouring outside?

The year 2023 featured dozens of great movies and a lot of memorable, smart, funny, crude (and funny) lines and quotes. I know I missed some, but here's a sampling of some of the best.


THE CRUDE (Sorry)

"Shitballs" - Ken Griffin from Dumb Money

"Where my pussy at?" Harmony from Dumb Money

"Fuck Ken Griffin!" Jennifer from Dumb Money

". ... the fuck." - female cop in Jules when watching three senior citizens scooping up a dead cat in the road to give to their Alien friend to fuel his ship.

"I've had sex with a guy to get out of playing Settlers of Catan" Maddie from No Hard Feelings

"I've had sex with a guy on a first date because I thought he was going to kill me." Sara from No Hard Feelings


HONORABLE MENTION

"Stick to your plan. Anticipate. Don't Improvise. Trust no one." - The Killer from The Killer

"The universe has sent you a gift, and you have to figure out what to do with it." - Rudy in The Blue Beetle

"I think we know we're living a lie. An agreed upon mass delusion to help us ignore and keep ignoring how awful we really are." - Amanda Sandford from Leave the World Behind

"Love has a plan for each and every one of us" - Celine Dion from Love Again

"Keep your expectations low, and you'll never be disappointed." - Gracie from May December

"This is what grownups do." Elizabeth Berry from May December

"What I learned about religion, is that it makes people fight." - Margaret from Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret.

"If you leave something behind, you gain something, too." Nora's mother in Past Lives

"You make my life so much bigger, and I wonder if I do the same thing for you?" - Arthur from Past Lives

"Whoever we contacted. They followed us." - from Talk to Me

"There's a natural goodness born into us all. You can either cross that line into evil or not. And it's our life's work to stay on the right side of that line" - Lucy Gray in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

"I find the world a bitter and complicated place, and it seems to feel the same way about me." - Paul Hunham from The Holdovers

"My beloved raccoon. This story has been yours all along, you just didn't know it." - Lylla from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

"Britney Spears and Korn." - little blonde clone girl from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 when asked of her favorite artists

"Money can buy you almost anything. It can't buy you immortality. That you have to earn." - Sonny Vaccaro in Air

"Time. It's not what you think it is. It's a cage. And it does everything it can to break you. It's not until you free yourself from it that you see just how small it always was." - Kang the Conqueror from "Quantumania

"Then we're the same. We can't go to Heaven. Because you're not good, and I'm not a person." Alphie from The Creator

"Nine seconds. That's what you have to decide your fate" Robert McCall in the Equalizer III

"Mom. This is Rebecca, and she's in charge." Hal from Sanctuary

"They won't fear it until they understand it. And they won't understand it until they've used it. Theory will take you only so far." - Robert Oppenheimer from Oppenheimer

"Genius is no guarantee of wisdom." - Lewis Strauss from Oppenheimer

""Embrace the light while it burns because it won't always last forever." Ember from Elemental

"You can't go your whole life scared of everything." - Maddie from No Hard Feelings

"We live and die in the shadows, for those we hold close, and for those we've never met." Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible

"I just want to say three things. One, never ever give up. Two, you're never too old to chase your dreams. And three, it looks like a solitary sport, but it takes a team." - Diana Nyad from Nyad.

"Sometimes being in love is lonelier than being alone." Anna from Fingernails

"That's a good song choice. I totally believe her as a French prostitute." Amos from Theater Camp

"The entire city just wanted to move on. Nobody bothered to get the truth. And people got away with murder." - Loretta McLaughlin from The Boston Strangler\

"I hate myself when I'm out there. But in here, when I'm with you, I'm exactly who I want to be." - Rebecca from Sanctuary

"You don't care about feminism. Your favorite show is Entourage!" - Josie from Bottoms.

"The fact is, I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." - Enzo Ferrari from Ferrari

"Sorry, I don't share electronics until the third date." - Hadley from Love at First Sight

"I knew it was secret. But I also knew I had pledged service to the American people." - Reality Winner in Reality

"Gardening is a belief in the future. A belief that things will happen according to plan. That change will come in its due time." - Narvel Roth from Master Gardener


BEST 20

"Sometimes a couple is kind of a chaos and everybody is lost. And sometimes we fight together, and sometimes we fight alone, and sometimes we fight against each other. - Sandra Voyter in Anatomy of a Fall

"Money is its own form of sickness." - Bella from Poor Things.

"It's the things we love the most that destroy us." - President Snow from The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

"If we desire a society of peace, then we cannot achieve such a society through violence." - Bayard Rustin in Rustin

"In an insane world, it is the sane who are called crazy." Lumalee from The Super Mario Brothers Movie

"I am the first to admit when I make a mistake. But I never do." Napoleon from Napoleon

"Evil surrounds my heart. Many times. I cry, and this evil around my heart comes out of my eyes. I close my heart and keep what is good there, but hate comes." - Mollie from Killers of the Flower Moon

"Real love is about finding someone who will hold your hand when life gets rough." - Hadley in Love at First Sight

"If we want to survive, we must damage and dismantle CO2-emitting devices, demolish them, burn them, blow them up. Let those who profit from mass death know their properties will be trashed. They will defame us and claim this was violence or vandalism, but this was justified. This was an act of self-defense." Xochiti from How to Blow up a Pipeline

"You can't wake up if you don't fall asleep." - from Asteroid City

"Down here in 1:87 scale, the lovers always kiss, the neighbors are always kind, and the trains always take you to the far-off places you always swore you'd go. In life, of course, nothing is nearly as neat and tidy." - Daniel in A Good Person

"This is where we ended up. This is where I'm supposed to be." - Nora from Past Lives

"We mothers stand still so our daughters can look back and see how far they've come." Ruth from Barbie

"Ever since I was a child, people said my family was cursed. Mom tried to protect us with God. Pop tried to protect us with wrestling. He said if we were the toughest, the strongest, nothing could ever hurt us. I believed him. We all did." - Kevin Von Erich from the Iron Claw

"A shoe is always just a shoe until someone steps into it." - Rob Strasser from Air

"You're an American Prometheus. The man who gave them the power to destroy themselves." - Niels Bohr from Oppenheimer

"I'm from Waterloo, where the vampires hang out." - Jim Balsille from BlackBerry

"Geniuses are loners because they can't connect with the rest of us." Agnes Ellison from American Fiction

"Tear sticks are doping for actors. ... Do you want to be the Lance Armstrong of Theater?" - Rebecca Diane from Theater Camp

"If you truly want to understand the present, or yourself, you must begin in the past. You see, history is not simply the study of the past. It is an explanation of the present." Paul Hunham from The Holdovers






"




No comments:

Post a Comment